I also want the family of MIT to be famous for how we treat people: Famous for sympathy, humility, decency, respect and kindness.
– President Rafael Reif, MIT 2013 Commencement
The Office of the Dean for Graduate Education invites you to share in an ongoing celebration of MIT faculty members who go above and beyond to make an impact in the lives of graduate students. Two new faculty members will be recognized each month through a broad campus poster campaign and this web site.
Graduate students are invited to nominate a caring faculty member. Honorees will be determined by a selection committee made up of MIT graduate students and staff. Criteria for selection for a “Committed to Caring” honor include:
- Who has the nominee reached with their caring actions? How broad-reaching has the impact of these actions been?
- How long has the nominee demonstrated these actions?
- Consideration will be given to caring actions that exist alongside excellence in scholarship.
Perhaps this person…
- Checks in with you about your well-being
- Shares his/her own struggles and/or path to MIT, allowing you to relate
- Is generous with time
- Participates in or helps to coordinate student-run events (appearing on panels, giving talks, etc.)
- Creates a supportive working environment for a diverse lab group
- Provides mentorship on professional and/or personal goals
- Works toward an end goal that will improve many lives