This section describes the variety of resources available to graduate students for advice and counsel—whether for individual concerns, career planning, support for student groups on campus, or informal discussions about the day-to-day life of a graduate student—with folks “in the know.” Looking for even more resources? See the Professional development page on the MIT Student Resources site.
To hear directly about upcoming events, sign up for the Global Education and Career Development (GECD) Graduate Career News list and the Graduate Student Council Professional Development e-mail list.
GECD Career Fair Prep Offerings
Dates: September 2 – 18
Times and locations vary, see below
Global Education & Career Development (GECD) Career Services offers a number of special events, panels, workshops and extended drop-in hours to help you prepare for the Fall Career Fair on September 19, 2014 being held in the Johnson Athletic Center (Building W34). We encourage you take advantage of all of the following resources and events.
See the GECD Calendar of Events for more information. To register for events, visit CareerBridge.
Career Fair Prep Events, September 2, 8th -17th, 2014
- Crack the Case: Tuesday, Sept 2, 1:00 – 3:00pm
- The Employer Perspective: Careers in Consulting: Tuesday, Sept 2, 4:00 – 5:00pm
- Ace the Case with PA Consulting: Monday, Sept 8, 4:00 – 6:30pm
- The Art of Networking, featuring Wolf Greenfield: Tuesday, Sept 9, 3:00 – 4:00pm
- The Employer Perspective: Careers in Biotechnology, Medical Devices and Pharma: Tuesday, Sept 9, 6:30 – 7:30pm
- The Employer Perspective: Careers in Engineering: Wednesday, Sept 10, 5:00 – 6:30pm
- The Art of Behavioral Interviewing: Wednesday, Sept 10, 2:00 – 3:30pm
- The Employer Perspective: Careers in Finance: Thursday, Sept 11, 5:30 – 6:30pm
- How to Work a Career Fair: Thursday, Sept 11, 2:00 – 3:30pm
- Technical Interviewing 101, featuring Google: Friday, Sept 12, 3:00 – 4:30pm
- Career Planning for Financial Independence: Monday, Sept 15, 3:00 – 4:30pm
- The Employer Perspective: Careers in Gaming: Monday, Sept 15, 6:00 – 7:00pm
- The Employer Perspective: Careers in Government: Tuesday, Sept 16, 7:00 – 8:00pm
- Stand out from the Crowd at the Fall Career Fair: Wednesday, Sept 17, 5:00 – 6:30pm
Drop-in Hours – for brief resume or cover letter reviews. Extended hours being offered September 3rd-18th
- Wednesday 9/3 – Friday 9/5: 11:00 – 3:00 in E39
- Monday 9/8 – Monday 9/15: 11:00 – 5:00 in 16-159
- Tuesday 9/16 -Thursday 9/18 11:00 – 6:00 in 16-159
Employer Resume Critiques, September 8th – 15th, 10:00am-4:00pm, 55 Hayward St. (Building E-39), 2nd Floor On-Campus Recruiting Suite
- Sign up with CareerBridge: Click on “On-Campus Interviews”, then “Interviews I Qualify For,” then “Advanced Search,” and type in “Employer Resume Critiques” in the “Company Name” field. Remember to bring a hard copy of your resume with you!
- Note: Students may only sign up for 1 timeslot per industry
- CareerBridge Registration: Opens on Tuesday, September 2nd at 12:00pm
FALL Career fair
Date: Friday, September 19th
Time: 10am – 4pm
Location: First and second floors of the Johnson Athletics Center (Building W34)
If you’re looking for exposure to companies in your field or seeking a full time job or summer internship, then make sure to register for the annual MIT Fall Career Fair on the Career Fair website. The event will only be open to MIT students and alumni. Registered participants will have access to resume, CV, and networking tips and the career week schedule of networking events prior to the Career Fair. Once registered, students will be able to upload their resumes and browse the 400+ companies at fair.
Alumni Leadership Conference Graduate Poster Session
Date: Friday, September 19th
Time: 6pm to 7pm
If you’re interested in sharing your research with MIT alumni or networking and meeting MIT alumni in leadership positions at MIT, then register for the Alumni Leadership Conference Graduate Poster Session hosted by the GSC ARC committee. Sign-up for one of the limited positions for grad student presenters and present your research poster. Each participant will receive a $10 Amazon gift card from the Alumni Association. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the event.