Graduate Policies & Procedures

Leave for U.S. National Service

Graduate students who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents in good academic standing and who would like to take a one-year (12-month) temporary leave from their graduate study for U.S. national service should follow the following procedures. National service includes activities which address urgent national need (e.g. active military service) or humanitarian service (e.g. disaster relief).

  1. Download the standard petition of the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education.
  2. In the petition request section, clarify the following:
    • Type of national service that will be undertaken;
    • Length of time expected for leave (up to one year for initial request);
    • Future academic plans for degree completion upon return from the leave;
    • Any departmental financial commitments (e.g. Research Assistantships, Teaching Assistantships, and /or Fellowships) upon return from the leave.
  3. Obtain signatures from the departmental faculty graduate officer and thesis advisor.
  4. Drop off the signed petition to the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education (Room 3-138).

The Dean for Graduate Education will review and process the petition and provide a signed copy to the graduate student and department. The Office of the Dean for Graduate Education will forward the petition to the Registrar, who will make note of the leave for national service with a code in their database.

Graduate students may submit paperwork for a renewal after the initial 12-month leave for national service has expired following the same procedure above.

For more information on legal aspects related to National Leaves of Service, please see U.S. federal statute “20 UNITED STATES CODE 1091C – READMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR SERVICEMEMBERS“.