Graduate Policies & Procedures

Withdrawal, readmission

Graduate degree programs should be completed without interruption. A student who discontinues graduate study for one or more academic terms must notify the department and the Registrar to be recorded as withdrawn from the Institute. International students need to notify the International Students Office as well.

An application for readmission must be approved by the departmental graduate committee. The committee will consider the applicant’s past record, the length of the period of withdrawal, departmental facilities expected to be available at the time for which readmission is requested, and any other relevant data. If the period of interruption exceeds five years, the request must be approved both by the departmental graduate committee and by the Dean for Graduate Education.

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas need a new Certificate of Eligibility (Form I- 20, or DS2019) in order to re-enroll at MIT.

Degrees are not backdated; therefore, a student’s total program must meet the requirements and standards existing at the time the degree is granted. Requests for reactivation of graduate degree programs, including previously acquired academic credits, will be evaluated in terms of the length of the interruption.

See also Nonresident Doctoral Thesis Research Status.