CONVERGE ALUMNI FEE WAIVER
CONVERGE Alumni from the past five years who are applying to MIT for graduate school are eligible for the MIT Graduate Application Fee Waiver. More information and the Fee Waiver request form are accessible here: http://gradadmissions.mit.edu/about/diversity-initiatives/fee-waiver
CONVERGE 2017 APPLICATION
CONVERGE 2017 was held from November 16 – 18, 2017.
The application typically opens late summer. Once available, the application link and due date will be posted here. Please check back regularly for information regarding CONVERGE 2018.
November 16 – 18, 2017
The CONVERGE mission is to increase the presence of underrepresented and underserved students in MIT’s graduate programs. To achieve this goal, CONVERGE hosts a graduate school preview weekend on the MIT campus during the fall for select participants who will be strong applicants to MIT graduate programs.
- Significant interactions with MIT graduate students, administrators, and faculty
- Exposure to the academic and research facilities in the primary department of interest
- Insights and encouragement from current students and alumni/ae
- Opportunities to explore Boston and Cambridge
- MIT will provide food, lodging, and all reasonable travel expenses for guests invited to this weekend program
- Connects participants with MIT faculty, staff, and graduate students involved in the graduate school admissions process
|MIT SCHOOLS & DEPARTMENTS|
Departments and labs participate in CONVERGE based on the admitted applicants’ areas of interest. MIT offers over 35 graduate programs in five schools:
- School of Architecture and Planning
- School of Engineering*
- School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
- Sloan School of Management
- School of Science*
We encourage you to explore MIT’s programs, faculty, and research before you apply to CONVERGE!
Department Events for Prospective Students: Many MIT departments host their own programs for prospective graduate students; these programs may be hosted on-campus or virtually and may be named differently – open house, preview day, etc. The OGE strongly encourages you to visit and attend events offered by departments.
Below are a few departments who have alerted the OGE of their events:
- Art, Culture and Technology: ACT Open House
- Media Arts and Sciences: Media Lab Open House
- Sloan School of Management: multiple events
- Urban Students and Planning: DUSP Open House
*IMPORTANT NOTE: CONVERGE does not admit students who are interested in the following three departments that participate in the MIT ACCESS program.
- Chemical Engineering
- Material Sciences and Engineering
- Must be available for the entirety of CONVERGE program on November 16-18, 2017
- Must have a genuine interest in research and obtaining a PhD
- Must be enrolled full-time in or recently graduated from a degree-granting program at a US institution (located in the US or its territories)
- Must be juniors, seniors, recent graduates (Spring 2014 or later), or graduate students enrolled in a terminal Master’s degree program
- Must have a grade point average of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher
- African American, Hispanic, Native American, Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander, first-generation students, and students from low socioeconomic backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
- International students enrolled full-time in a degree-granting program at a US institution are eligible to apply. Students who will receive their bachelor’s degree at an institution outside of the US and exchange students are NOT eligible to apply.
To be considered, you must submit ALL of the following application materials by the deadline. Applications missing any of the required components will NOT be considered. By submitting the completed application, you are committing to being available November 16-18th if selected. You may access the application here. The deadline is Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
- Completed online program application
- 2 – 3 Letters of Recommendation that can speak to your potential in a research environment from faculty, including your research advisor/mentor*
- Statement of Objectives
- Unofficial transcript(s) from current and previous colleges/universities attended*
*PLEASE NOTE: Instructions for letter of recommendation and transcript submission will be in the application
Please contact the CONVERGE staff with any questions not answered on the website: