The Office of Graduate Education (OGE)— including the office’s headquarters, the International Students Office, and the Graduate Student Council—offers the following services to students and staff.

A graduate student may…

Request (limited) financial support for graduate student activities and events (please note that this is a separate process from the annual Graduate Student Life Grants)

Submit a General Petition to:

  • Establish or amend a dual degree (attach list of subjects and credit units for each degree)
  • Choose a thesis field not currently on the list of departmental thesis fields
  • Add or drop a course after the stated deadlines
  • Request a joint thesis (attach a statement specifying division of labor)
  • Establish special tuition rates
  • Request approval for retroactive actions in unusual circumstances
  • Change a grade of “O” (missing final exam/project) to “OX” (excused)
  • Appoint an ad hoc interdepartmental or interdisciplinary dissertation committee
    More information about petitions

or to apply for:

Request delayed thesis publication (a “thesis hold”)

Submit a proposal for a Graduate Student Life Grant

Apply for a competitive fellowship

Request information on available fellowship funds

Request information on Graduate Student Dental Plan

Request an appointment to discuss a personal concern

Request advice on graduate policies and procedures and unique student situations

Submit a comment or question to the Dean


An international student (or dependent) may…

Request admission processing

Request a change in visa status

Seek advice regarding immigration regulations and concerns

Apply for post-completion employment authorization in the US


A current non-MIT undergraduate student may…

Apply for the summer research program (MSRP)

Apply for the preview weekend (CONVERGE)


Any faculty or staff may…

Refer a student for personal or medical concerns

Submit a proposal for a Graduate Student Life Grant

Request information on available fellowship funds

Request clarification on US immigration regulatory policies and procedures